A quantity surveyor is one of a team of professional advisers to the construction industry, providing both cost and contractual advice.
A chartered quantity surveyor is an individual who has achieved sufficient academic and practical experience to be a Member of the Royal Institute of Surveyors (RICS). Alternatively (although not designated as Chartered), here in Australia an equivalent qualification is for a quantity surveyor to be an Associate Member of the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS).
At TSL Pty Ltd our definition of a quantity surveyor is someone who loves measuring structures, staring at buildings and fixtures from odd angles, calculating ways to save you lots of time and money, and reducing/minimising your risk, both financially and contractually.
All TSL Senior Quantity Surveyors have the following:
- University Degree in Quantity Surveying
- Completed 3 years of relevant post graduate experience
- Completed the necessary professional exams and are Chartered Quantity Surveyors
- Members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors or the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors.
A chartered quantity surveyor is professionally qualified to provide a range of services. These services include, but are in no way restricted to:
- Tax depreciation schedules
- Building cost estimates
- Insurance replacement assessments
- Construction contract consulting and management
- Expert witness reports
You will no doubt require the services of a quantity surveyor if:
- You own an Investment property and you need a tax depreciation schedule in order to maximise your investment and pay less tax.
- You need an insurance replacement assessment on your property to eliminate the risk of being underinsured.
- You have got plans for a building project and need to know what the project is going to cost you, so you can make informed decisions on your project and have confidence that your builder’s prices are fair and reasonable.
- You need builders’ quants or bills of quantities for your building project.
- You need contractual advice regarding your contract and assistance in achieving an amicable agreement in any building dispute.
- You are in dispute with your builder, contractor or sub-contractors and need an expert witness report in order to determine the extent of the work already carried out, and the likely costs to actually complete the project.
- You have an ongoing construction project that requires assistance from a quantity surveyor.
- Your finance company needs a feasibility report to justify and secure finance for your project.
- They may also require draw down reports in order to make building stage payments to your builder.
- You need reassuring that your builder’s costs are competitive.
- You are a builder, sub-contractor or developer with plans for a project and don’t have time to itemise the materials in order to provide a quote for the work.
TSL offers excellent customer service and a superior product at a highly competitive price.
TSL Pty Ltd is a chartered quantity surveying firm, employing fully qualified quantity surveyors who offer you:
- Australia-wide service
- Competitive pricing
- Professional, efficient and timely service
- Personal contact with prompt responses to your questions
- Comprehensive reports in both hard copy and pdf formats
- Ongoing advice regarding your project / report if required, even after the work has been completed
- Fixed fee quotes – no hidden extras
- No payment upfront – we invoice you at the completion of our services
- Various payment options, including direct credit, cheque, Visa, Mastercard and Bartercard (for some services)
- A fully insured, professionally qualified quantity surveying company
The best thing to do is ask!
When speaking to different companies or individuals to source quotes for services, be sure to ask about their qualifications and experience.
Your best indication that a quantity surveyor is suitably qualified and experienced is to ensure they are a full Member of the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS) or Royal Institute of Chartered Quantity Surveyors (RICS). Members of these organisations are bound by strict codes of conduct and are required to maintain high standards of ethics and professionalism in their dealings with clients and each other.
Be wary though. Don’t be satisfied with a simple ‘yes’ when you ask the question. Find out exactly what level of membership a quantity surveyor holds. For instance, there are a number of levels to AIQS membership:
- Fellows are members of the AIQS who have been elevated to this highest grade in recognition of their levels of education, professional service and contribution to the AIQS. [Post nominal: FAIQS – LFAIQS for Life Fellows]
- Associates are members who have appropriate recognised tertiary qualifications, the required years of practice and have passed an assessment of professional competence. [Post nominal: AAIQS]
- Probationers are members of the AIQS who are graduates or other appropriately qualified people (including members of recognised QS Institutes in other countries). They are entered as probationary members until they satisfy certain experience requirements and pass the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC).
- Students are members who are undertaking appropriate full time or part time studies.
- Technician membership is provided for persons who have obtained TAFE diplomas from recognised courses who intend making a career in quantity surveying, or persons with diplomas in quantity surveying and some practical experience.
Be certain that the quantity surveyor you choose is an Associate or a Fellow. To hold these highly regarded professional membership qualifications, they must be a fully qualified and reputable quantity surveyor.
All TSL Company Directors are Associate Members of the AIQS and/or Members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
As chartered quantity surveyors, TSL Pty Ltd pride ourselves on our ability to provide our clients with sound cost and contract advice, helping them limit / manage their risk, ultimately ensuring that they receive value for money.
At TSL Pty Ltd our fully qualified quantity surveyors provide the following services:
- Cost planning and estimating
- Insurance replacement cost estimates
- Feasibility studies
- Tender preparations
- Preparation of tender documentation, including bills of quantities
- Assessment of work in progress
- Assessment of contractor claims
- Forecasting and reporting
- Final accounts
- Contractor / subcontractor estimates
- Expert witness reports
- Contractual claim preparation
- Tax depreciation schedules
- Contract advice